30 May 2010

Dark Days Challenge

So I came across this thing today called the Dark Days Challenge.  It's all about eating locally and sustainably at least once a week during the winter months and I thought what a great idea.

The only issue I have is that I live in the city and there isn't much near me in the way of farmland so my spin will be to make a meal each week that comes out of both my Aussie farmers direct box and something I find at the farmers market. If I can find something from the supermarket that also fits the bill then why not but ideally it won't.

Tonight's meal just happens to fit that perfectly. I made beef rissoles with mashed potato. The only things that did not come out of my AFD box were the zuchinni and the cheese.

Rissoles
makes 8 large rissoles

500g Beef mince
1 onion, grated
1 zuchinni, grated
3-4 small carrots, grated

mix everything together in a bowl until well combined and it starts to resemble sausage mix. divide into 8 mounds and pan fry until cooked.

Mashed potato

3-4 potatoes, peeled
1-2 tbsp butter
chunk of cheese, grated (I used devondale vintage chedder
splash of milk

steam potatoes until tender. Add butter and crush with a fork/potatoe masher. Add milk and cheese and stir until the consistency you like.

No comments: